The SNP has published its Alternative Queen’s Speech – a 12-point plan to protect the NHS, end austerity, tackle the climate emergency, and ensure Scotland has the right to choose its own future in an independence referendum.
- An Independence referendum – ensuring Scotland’s right to choose our own future is respected.
- An NHS Protection Bill – to stop the threat to the NHS from a Tory-Trump trade deal, and a commitment to increase per capita health spending in England to the same level as it is in Scotland, benefiting the NHS in all four UK nations.
- A Parental Leave Expansion Bill – to increase parental leave with an additional 12 weeks to be ring-fenced for the father in order to encourage take-up as well as increases in statutory maternity and paternity pay.
- An Equal Living Wage Bill – to increase the national minimum wage to at least the level of the real Living wage, and to end age discrimination in the legal minimum wage.
- A Social Security Reform Bill – to scrap the two-child cap on tax credits and rape clause, to end the benefits freeze, and halt the flawed roll out of Universal Credit.
- A Women’s Pension Justice Bill – to deliver justice for the 3.8million women born in the 1950s denied their pension by consecutive UK governments.
- A Climate Emergency Bill – introducing tougher legal targets, to ensure the UK government matches Scotland’s net zero emissions target by 2045 – and putting oil and gas receipts into a net-zero fund for measures to tackle climate change.
- A new Green Energy Deal – delivering real action on the climate emergency by building on the transition toward a greener, sustainable future.
- A BBC Licence Fee Bill – to ensure the BBC licence fee remains free for over-75s.
- An Electoral Franchise Expansion Bill – to extend the franchise to introduce votes at 16 in general elections, as already introduced by the SNP for Holyrood elections.
- A House of Lords Abolition Bill – to begin the process of abolishing the unelected and undemocratic House of Lords.
- A Trident Abolition Bill – rejecting the immoral replacement of nuclear weapons at a cost of over £200billion.
The SNP won a landslide victory in Scotland at the general election, winning 80% of seats on a mandate for an independence referendum. In contrast, the Tories lost more than half their seats in Scotland – and came 20-points behind the SNP in the vote.
The SNP Alternative Queen’s Speech sets out our priorities to ensure Scotland’s right to choose our own future is respected, to protect our NHS, end austerity, boost our economy, and deliver real action to tackle the climate emergency.
SNP MPs will provide the strong and united opposition to the Tories that the country needs, and we will protect Scotland’s democratic right to choose our own future – so we can get on with building a fairer, greener, more equal and prosperous country.